Whether your home is brand new, or on the verge of turning 100, it is important to know a few tips and tricks that can help ensure that your pipes stay healthy and clog free. This continual maintenance can help cut down on costly repairs, as well as the worry that your sewer or drain system will fail. While these situations are hard to predict, we hope our tips and tricks can help to simplify and control an emergency or undexpected sewer/drain situation.
Kitchen Sewer/Drain Tips
- To prevent kitchen sink clogs, dispose of grease and oil in the trash after allowing it to cool
- To effectively clear all garbage disposal waste from your sink drain, run cold water down the drain for 15 seconds before and after
- Rinse your dishwasher frequently and thoroughly to prevent clogs in your drains
Bathroom Sewer/Drain Tips
- Pipes found in old homes, are susceptible to severe clogging, to reduce this from happening, fit showers and tubs with strainers to catch hair, dirt, and soap.
- To clear any dirt, toothpaste, soap from your sink, run hot water down your bathroom sink weekly or other agents that could clog your drain
- Repairing any leaky faucets, fixtures, or pipes can help to avoid high water bills, and reduce wear and tear on your equipment
What To Do In Emergency Sewer/Drain Situations
When it comes to burst pipes, water damage and flooding are going to be the biggest concerns of any home or business owner. The first best move is to locate the main shutoff valve to and turn it off to stop water supply to the fixture, or pipe. After shutting off the valve, turn on cold water taps to drain pipes of trapped water and steam.
Similar to burst pipes, if you are experience a leak the first best move is to close the shutoff valve to the fixture and will allow you to further diagnose the issue without having to worry about water damage. Take this time to check the fixture’s trap for debris, hair, soap scum, and food particles that might cause the fixture to overflow.
Clogged Drains, Toilets, & Sinks
If you are faced with a situation that a plunger can’t fix or if you notice your toilet, sink, shower, or other drains are backed up, it may be time to contact a professional.
It is advised that you do not pour additional water in drains, flush the toilet, or add drain cleaners as this can potentially damage your drains.
Trust the Sewer & Drain Experts
For over 37 years Boston Drain Company has provided diagnostics, sewer & drain cleaning, video pipe inspections, sewer line repairs, and preventative maintenance options to business owners and residents of Eastern Massachusetts & the Greater Boston Area. For any and all sewer & drain repair/service, call the experts at Boston Drain! Not sure if you’re needing a full replacement or just a quick fix? For a free quote contact us today via our convenient contact form or call us directly at 617-265-8888!